Through Norway’s International Climate & Forests Initiative (NICFI), anyone can now access Planet’s high-resolution tropical forest data, analysis-ready mosaics of the world’s tropics in order to help reduce and reverse the loss of tropical forests, combat climate change, conserve biodiversity, and facilitate sustainable development for non commercial uses.
In support of NICFI’s mission, users can use data for several projects including, but not limited to:
- Advance scientific research about the world’s tropical forests and the critical services they provide.
- Implement and improve policies for sustainable forest management and land use in developing tropical forest countries and jurisdictions.
- Increase transparency and accountability in the tropics.
- Protect and improve the rights of indigenous peoples and local communities in tropical forest countries.
- Innovate solutions towards reducing pressure on forests from global commodities and financial markets.
Access to data is available to all interested users, and NICFI offers continuous support and capacity development through webinars and online resources to data users. To access the dataset, interested users have to create an account at the NICFI website.
Access NICFI using the following link: https://university.planet.com/page/nicfi